Know Your History, Know Yourself Quiz
Explore | Research | Learn | Excel
What do I do?
Research the answers to the questions (see the other side of this paper)
Memorize the answers to the questions
Answer the most questions on the timed short quiz. (Quiz questions will be a selection,)
Win a prize and be recognized for knowing Your history AND Yourself
When is the quiz?
Sunday, February 17th; during coffee hour.
Who is eligible?
How many winners?
Two! One adult and one youth (ages 18 and under)
1. Who was the first priest in America of African descent (and former slave) to be ordained in the Episcopal Church?
2. What is the name of the oldest Black church in America and where is it located?
3. What is the name of the first consecrated Black Episcopal bishop?
4. Who founded the American Negro Academy?
5. Name the first woman AND Black to be consecrated an Episcopal bishop.
6. What is the oldest independent Black denomination?
7. What is Thomas Dorsey best known for?
1. This artist led the campaign to get Dr. Martin Luther King’s birthday to be honored as a federal holiday in 1983.
2. Who was the first Black woman to be crowned Miss America in 1984?
3. What was director and producer Spike Lee’s debut film that aired in 1986?
4. In 1993, what author became the first Black woman to win the Nobel Prize for Literature? Hint: the book became a movie produced by and acted in by Oprah Winfrey.
5. In 1995, this March was organized by Minister Louis Farrakhan in an effort to teach solidarity among Black men.
6. This music video by Michael Jackson was the first music video by a Black artist to be aired on MTV.
7. This film director and screenwriter is famous for these movies: Fruitvale Station, Creed/Creed2, and Black Panther.
1. Where is the National Museum of African American History and Culture located and what year did it open to the public?
2. What is the proper name for the NAACP and where are its headquarters?
3. The murder of this man and father inspired the film Fruitvale Station.
4. What was first Black owned company to be traded on the NYSE and who founded the company?
5. Who is the first directly elected Black member of Congress?
6. Name the woman who took down the confederate flag in SC.
7. Michelle Obama has two degrees: from which universities?
1. Who is the first Black coach to win a Super Bowl?
2. Who holds the record for scoring the most points in a single NBA game?
Bonus: how many points?
3. Name the OG WNBA player and first player to ever dunk in a game.
4. She is the first female to coach a men’s pro league team…who is she and what is the name of the team?
5. Who is the NFL’s all time leader in receptions, yards, and touchdowns winning 3 SBs while playing for the 49ers?
6. Name the first Black woman to win an Olympic gold medal.
7. Name the athletes who won gold and silver medals in the 1968 Summer Olympics and protested on the winner’s podium.
Bonus: How did they protest?